C18 later CC19 Class
|Total Number of Engines Built||3|
|First Engine Built||1914|
|Last Engine Built||1914|
|First Engine Written Off||1956|
|Last Engine Written Off||1961|
These engines were originally constructed with 18″ cylinders for mail train use and designated C18 Class. The first, N°692 was built as a saturated engine but N° 693 was fitted with a Schmidt superheater and N°694 received a Robinson superheater. In December 1916, N°692 also obtained a Robinson (MLS) superheater. The engines had a narrow grate with a length of 9′ 6″, reputed to be the longest firebox on a 3′ 6″ gauge engine at that time.
They were initially principally used on the Sydney Mail between Brisbane and Toowoomba. Their range was extended to Wallangarra in April 1915, Bundaberg on North Coast Line by 1918 and Roma in 1928.
The original boilers had a large regulator dome and a smaller separate one for safety valves similar to B17 Class. All received new boilers with both the regulator and safety valves contained in a smaller dome and electric headlights in 1927. N°693 and N°694 were originally fitted with Wakefield mechanical lubricators but later received Detroit hydrostatic lubricators in 1935 and 1937 respectively. All were converted to CC19 class with fitting of 19″ cylinders. They and their derivative, the C19 Class were the largest conventional engines to run on QR.
In March 1915, N°693 was named Sir William MacGregor after the then Governor of Queensland and N°694, Lady MacGregor after his wife. N°692 did not receive a name but was often referred to as Sylvania Pankhurst after the suffragette leader.
N°694 was the first engine to run over the Drayton Deviation on 5th July 1915. This line was constructed to provide a more direct path between Toowoomba and Warwick than the old main line via Gowrie. On 5th October 1958 she worked the last passenger train over the superseded route between Gowrie and Wyreema prior to its closure.
All engines spent most of their working life in the Toowoomba district, mainly on the Main and Southern Lines.
§ Increased to 11 tons when coal capacity of tender enlarged
* Later increased to 44.1 and 11 tons by the addition of coal boards.
Ipswich – Ipswich Railway Workshops