6D17 later D17 Class
|Total Number of Engines Built||30|
|First Engine Built||1924|
|Last Engine Built||1942|
|First Engine Written Off||1961|
|Last Engine Written Off||1968|
These superheated engines were built to assist the 6D16 class with increasing suburban traffic. They were restricted to the Brisbane suburban area with boundaries of Ipswich, Ferny Grove, Pinkenba, Shorncliffe, Petrie, Kingston and Lota. This area was later extended beyond Ipswich to Grandchester. Initially, all were attached to Mayne depot but later several were transferred to Wooloongabba.
Cylinder and steam chest castings are identical to C17 Class. The ‘6’ was dropped from the classification in 1937. The engines were often unofficially referred to as ‘black tanks’ after the introduction of the DD17 class. Engines constructed in 1937 had boilers with a pressure of 170psi. Earlier engines were altered to that pressure as they passed through workshops. A wooden crate was fixed to the centre of the bunker to slightly increase the coal capacity from the original 3 tons.
It was intended to fit roller bearings to all engines constructed after 1937, (N°853 to N° 857, N°882 to N°886) however these bearings became difficult to obtain due to the war and only N°853 to N°857 were fitted with them. Engines of this class were some of the last to receive electric headlights due to them being restricted to running in the Brisbane suburban area. Fitting of electric headlights commenced in 1951.
Increasing numbers of diesels saw them displaced from suburban passenger trains. Those engines attached to Wooloongabba depot immediately prior to its closure were the last to be employed on such trains.
N°53 and N°75 were the last two members of class in service and were written off in December 1968.
Ipswich – Ipswich Workshops
Walkers – Walkers Ltd. Engineering Maryborough