6D13 – Originally F – Class

Total Number of Engines Built 2
First Engine Built 1882
Last Engine Built 1882
First Engine Written Off 1926
Last Engine Written Off 1926


These engines were built for the Queensland Land and Coal Company who proposed to build a private colliery railway near Torbanlea. Cost of the project proved prohibitive and eventually QR provided a 65 chain siding for the mine. The two engines and a number of hopper wagons, that had already been bought by the company, were then offered for sale to the Railway Department. The unused engines were purchased for £1,730 each. They were the first engines on QR to use Walschaerts Valve Gear. Although capable of handling heavy loads, their wheel arrangement and inadequate balance weights caused them to be unstable at speed. Additional counter weights were added in 1887 but by the following year both had been relegated to mainly shunting work. While shunting at Roma Street, N°70’s boiler exploded on 29th August 1898 . Both driver and fireman were injured but the nearby shunters were unharmed. Both engines were reboilered in 1901 although the new vessels retained the original working pressure.


Neilson – Neilson & Coy, Glasgow

Technical Details
Wheel Arrangement0-6-2T
Cylinders (diameter x stroke) ins.13 X 18
Coupled Wheels diameter ins.36
Length42' 3"
Boiler Pressure - psi.120
Heating Surface - tubes539
Heating Surface - Total sq. ft.592
Grate Area - sq. ft.10.0
Weight - Adhesive19.0
Weight - Engine25.25
Weight - Tender-
Coal Capacity - tons1.25
Water Capacity - gallons600
Tractive Effort - lbs. (85%)8110
Factor of Adhesion4.48
Valve GearWalschaerts
Named Locomotives
Class Roster