Goninan/IGE 1150 Class
The 1150 class (initially known as the 1300 class and before that the 1210 class) were first introduced to Queensland in 1952, when nine locomotives were imported from General Electric Erie, Pennsylvania. The remainder were built by Goninan at Broadmeadow, NSW.
The drivers of the day thought the locos were the next best thing since sliced bread. Creature comforts such as a stove, cushioned chairs and sliding windows were welcomed warmly.
These locomotives were initially used on the North Coast and Toowoomba lines, and later moved to Townsville.
Only two 1150s remain in preservation, class leader 1150 and 1159. 1150 is currently undergoing full restoration in Townsville.